Lost Dog Cafe

5876 Washington Blvd
Arlington, VA  22205
703.237.1552
www.lostdogcafe.com
Lost Dog Cafe on Urbanspoon

Having just spent 6 years living in New York City where I have to say my appreciation for good food grew exponentially, I wanted to test out just how much my tastes had changed.  So, upon moving back to Arlington (just outside of Washington, DC), I was still unpacking and decided to order a pizza from a neighborhood pizza joint that I remembered fondly from back in 1999-2000.  My pizza habits have changed considerably from back then when I favored a more deep dish approach to now when I crave the perfect thin slice with crispy dough that's slightly burned on the bottom.


I ordered the Pizza di Mare which is crabmeat, scallops, shrimp, onions, green peppers, garlic butter, covered with mozzarella and parmesan.  It's not your classic choice in pizza and may be an unfair comparison but I was craving something different and that seemed different.  After tasting the pizza, I think I found out just how far my tastes have changed.  I found the ingredients to be not so fresh and rather bland.  The only appeal seemed to be the comfort you derive from some garlic, melted cheese and sprinkled parmesan on a warm piece of dough.  The crust itself seemed to be too thick even though they didn't promise a thin crust pizza.  It was doughy, chewy and the ends didn't even provide the crispiness you look for in a pizza.  Granted, this was only one pie from Lost Dog but it is making me rethink about ordering from them ever again.

Maybe my tastes have evolved or maybe what satisfied me over a decade ago simply isn't good enough anymore.  I do know that I probably miss the cuisine of NYC and rather than lament it, I should strive to look even harder for finding some hidden culinary gems in DC.

0 comments:

Please feel free to comment! I would love to hear what anyone thinks of any of the content on this blog. But, please always be respectful of others who comment here also. Hope you're enjoying.