Num Pang

140 East 41st Street
New York, NY  10017
212.867.8889
www.numpangnyc.com
Num Pang Sandwich Shop on Urbanspoon

Every time I come to NYC these days, I usually spend some time with friends who live near Grand Central Station which is, coincidentally, just a block away from where I used to work.  I thought I had known ever place to grab a bite in the area but since I've been gone, Num Pang has opened up and boy do I wish it was there every time I was looking for a place to eat lunch.  I first tried Num Pang about 5 months ago and it is now a regular staple for every visit to the City.  In fact, it may be the first place I stop to eat when I'm hungry.   Today was no different.


I usually get the Five-Spice Glazed Pork Belly since I don't really have the ability to resist any dish that offers pork belly and this sandwich definitely satisfies anyone's savory pork belly craving.  I've also tried the Coconut Tiger Shrimp Sandwich which has the right amount of sweetness and crunch; and if you're especially hungry, I'd recommend the Grilled Corn on the cob with chili mayo, coconut flakes and chili powder.  It's very similar to the street fare corn on the cob you see in various street festivals but the added sweetness of the coconut brings this version to another level.

Today, I ordered the Grilled Skirt Steak Sandwich with Crushed Peppercorns and Coriander was recommended to me.  The steak was grilled perfectly to medium rare and was tender and seasoned perfectly.  Almost all of the sandwiches use cilantro, pickled cucumber and carrots sliced thin all on a toasted bun.  The cilantro gives a little bit of a kick, the pickled vegetables add an element of freshness that balance out the savory proteins.  If you add that with a can of baby coconut juice then you have a perfect meal that will keep you coming back even after you've moved away from the City.  Edit:   So, I went back again on Sunday and got the Five-Spice Glazed Pork Belly Sandwich.  The belly was tender and fell apart at your touch and you guys know the rest if you read above.  What can I say, I have a weakness for the place.

0 comments:

Please feel free to comment! I would love to hear what anyone thinks of any of the content on this blog. But, please always be respectful of others who comment here also. Hope you're enjoying.